photo wishlist_zps2544b6d7.png

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Movie Adaptation Review: The Two Towers - Extended Version

.
MOVIE ADAPTATION of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers  
After watching The Fellowship of the Ring last year (review link: here), this time I'm watching The Two Towers - the second installment of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The movie is almost 4 hours long, more or so the same with the previous one because I watched the extended version; but those 4 hours is full of intensity and excitement! I have to say that compared to the first movie, I like The Two Towers better just because there are so many awesomeness happening. I'm actually quite confused as what to write in this review, because there are so many things I'd like to talk about and I don't know where to start. But however, here's my (hopefully) non-spoiler review for the movie adaptation. *there will be plenty of screencaps, so please be patient if took longer to load.


I'm sorry for starting this review with ugly pictures; but indeed there's a lot of ugliness in the movie. With all the Uruk-Hai and Orcs - and not to forget Gollum who shows up quite often, I have to bare seeing those ugly faces; although my eyes are always refreshed with the sight of Legolas and Aragorn. And so I kind of expected the movie adaptation to be somewhat different than the book; it starts off with Frodo and Sam part - of course because Frodo is the main character - even though their part wasn't until the second half in the book. And the movie cut it short directly to the part where Frodo and Sam is trying to tame Gollum and make it their guide. Then Merry and Pippin's part comes next, as well as Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's part. It might sound strange, but I actually liked how the movie adaptation arrange the story better than the book did.

But of course, the detail in the movie adaptation won't be as much and as complete as the book. I just had better understanding of all the things that's happening; with what Saruman is doing, the attack on Rohan, the battle in Helm's Deep, and so on. In one part and another, the movie adaptation even expands the story and telling the ones that's not even in the book. In my opinion, it's always best to read the book before you watch the movie adaptation - especially with movies like this; because I already understands the whole thing, and for me, the movie adaptation just completes the package and made better understanding.

“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Gandalf's comeback! When I read the book, I didn't imagine him appearing like a god who descended from the heavens - with all the blinding light rays and all that. But I'm just happy he came back. The intro of the movie even showed how Gandalf fought with Balrog until the end and has been resurrected with greater powers. And after meeting with Gandalf, they all directly went on with their plans for battle. It's also a really good thing that Legolas shows up quite a lot this time - even though he's not one of my favorite characters, but he's so charming with that long golden hair and his arrow-shooting action . Samgee also caught my attention in this movie, because he seriously got more parts than he did in the first one.
Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.
Another thing I love - although it's also used in The Fellowship of the Ring: Elvish language! I don't know, why it sounds really sexy? (especially when Aragorn is speaking). Is there a way for me to learn to speak Elvish? Although I don't know with whom I'll communicate with. But there's also something that's quite OOT in the movie; which is Aragorn's relationship with Arwen (which was also mentioned in The Fellowship of the Ring movie, but never once in the book). I don't really mind, but I guess there's got to be a little bit of romance in every movie? Even Lady Eowyn seems interested in the eighty-seven-year-old Aragorn. There's other differences too in the movie; like the back story of Faramir (Boromir's brother); how his father never trusted him and only rely on his first-born - which then makes him wants to get hold of the One Ring to prove himself to his father. As for this difference, it's a really good change that completes the story as a whole.


My favorite scenes in the movie: the battle scene, when Gandalf banished Saruman from King Theoden's body, and the Ents! The battle scene that I'm choosing is not the small-battle kind; but the battle in Helm's Deep - which is super intense and a LOT of killing happening. I have to say, the ones with the bow and arrows have caught my attention. Rather than soldiers with swords, the archers looks more awesome to me because they hit the enemy on the right and deadly spot. Anyways, the battle scene was nicely done - I couldn't really picture it in my mind when I read the book; but watching this movie has completed everything perfectly :)) The intense battle was lighten up with Gimli and Legolas' fighting for who kills more enemy; I super love the interaction between these two characters - especially when Legolas was trolling Gimli for being short xD As for Gandalf-King Theoden scene, I also loveeee this part in the book and seeing it in the movie made it so much better. King Theoden looks really possessed and was unable to do anything; and Gandalf is trying to kick Saruman out of Theoden's body with his wizard-power.
"I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound."
The Ents! The scene where the Ents all march out going towards Isengard literally gives me goosebumps. But before that scene, Treebeard is super funny - because he talks really slowly, even making the Hobbits fell asleep; and also walk slowly. The funniest part is when the Ents are gathering for a discussion; and for hours, they only got to say 'good morning'. Gimli is also in charge of the humor in this movie, with his complaining about Gandalf becoming more grumpy, complaining about the forest, complaining about having to run for three days and night, and a lot more. I'm starting to like this character because of his fun and quirky personality. Seeing this happy-funny mood on screen really balance out all the darkness of war and battle.



Sorry for the long review; haven't wrote this much before for a movie adaptation review - but I guess there's a lot to talk about this 4-hour-movie :)) I am SUPER satisfied with this movie, this one is even better than the first movie. Every casts has played their character well and delivered the emotions extremely well to the audience. And I need to say this again - although I've said it before - The Lord of the Rings is indeed the best movie adaptation I've seen in my life so far. Despite the change here and there, it's still perfect - and I really admire Peter Jackson's work. Now I really can't wait to read The Return of the King to see how it all ends; the final war with Sauron and Saruman and what will become of The One Ring. Anyone felt the same hype as me when watching this movie? :))) Here's my favorite (almost-cried) quote from the movie (which is also from the book, in a different version) to end this review :)
Sam: I wonder if people will ever say, 'Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring.' And they'll say 'Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn't he, Dad?' 'Yes, my boy, the most famousest of hobbits. And that's saying a lot.'
Frodo: You've left out one of the chief characters - Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam.
Frodo: Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam.
Sam: Now Mr. Frodo, you shouldn't make fun; I was being serious.
Frodo: So was I.
*the screenshots are taken and edited by me.
 
 
by.stefaniesugia♥ .

1 comment:

  1. I am also a fan of the lord of the rings series.Recently i saw The Hobbit in which some parts the ting i liked.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...